In case you didn’t catch it last week, there’s a new thang going on here on NCK: a weekly post in which I delve into my real life, recapping either how much I cooked or ate out over the weekend. It’s a fun behind-the-scenes peek to spark discussion about your weekend eats, inspire you for next weekend, and help me remember the awesome restaurant dishes I’ve eaten that I really need to turn into a recipe.
Starting last Wednesday, Steve and I sadly dropped this face off at day care but joyously headed to my hometown in Minnesota.
We came for a one-of-a-kind evening at Spoon and Stable with chef Michael Anthony (which will get a post all its own soon), to spend father’s day with my dad, and to hit old and new favorite restaurants over what can only be described as a gluttonous five days. Here’s the rundown spanning our long weekend.
- Creamy veggie enchilada pie
- Macadamia butterscotch cookies (one bowl/gluten free)
- Cilantro and green lentil salad: cooked up the remainder of a bag of French green lentils. Once cool, I mixed them with halved baby tomatoes, chopped (mini) cucumbers, lots of cilantro (leftover from the enchilada pie), a bit of feta, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. It was really interesting with lime juice, and completely flavorful without any garlic or onion.
- Sorghum spinach salad: While I let sorghum cook slowly on the stovetop, I mixed some minced garlic, lime juice, and salt. After about 10 minutes, I added halved baby tomatoes, chickpeas, lots of chopped spinach, and some olive oil. I refrigerated that mixture until the soghum was cooked and cooled, then I stirred in the grains along with more seasoning to taste.
The Restaurants (and Recommendations)
Judging by this extensive list, you can tell we were in vacation mode!
- Broders’ Pasta Bar – fettucini con gamberi (without shrimp)
- The Good Earth – anything off the seasonal specials list (we had the ricotta and cherry flatbread), baked artichoke dip, almond tuna melt, crustless cheesecake
- Spoon and Stable – something off the cocktail list and ANYTHING on the menu
- Dock Café – Sweet potato avocado sandwich (with tots!)
- Maple Island Brewery – Maple Island Bock
- Sebastian Joe’s – Oreo ice cream (not pictured)
- French Meadow Café – I have high standards for huevos rancheros, and theirs met every last one. (not pictured)
- Pizzeria Lola – ALWAYS the seasonal veg, crispy cauliflower starter, and any pizza (they’re all stellar)
- Jensen’s Café – apple cinnamon bread and the Cajun breakfast
- Noodles and Company – mac and cheese!