A sweet, sour, and spiced shredded carrot salad. It’s perfect for Halloween with the orange, green, and black color scheme, plus the themed pumpkin seeds!
Spiced turmeric vinaigrette (about 3/4 C)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 T distilled white vinegar
- 2 1/2 T red wine vinegar
- 1/2 t ground turmeric
- 1 t fennel seed, ground
- 1/2 t cumin seed, ground
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1 heaping t dijon mustard
- 1/2 t pure maple syrup
- 1/2 C + 1 T olive oil (or good quality, organic canola or grapeseed oil)
- 4 large carrots, shredded (about 6 C)
- 1/2 C raisins
- 2/3 C raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas; I get mine at Trader Joe’s)
- 1 C cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Ground black pepper
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk together all ingredients except the oil. When combined, continue whisking while drizzling in the oil until emulsified. Season to taste with more salt, and pepper if desired.
- Combine shredded carrots, raisins, all but a couple tablespoons of pumpkin seeds, and chickpeas in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss to combine. Garnish with pumpkin seeds, either leaving them whole or crumbling them, and fresh ground black pepper.
As written, the recipe is gluten free and vegan.
Prep time is faster if using the grater attachment of a food processor, instead of a box grater.
Fennel and cumin can be purchased whole, as seeds, and ground in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle. If you don’t have either, substitute the same quantity pre-ground, or just keep the seeds intact and crush with the side of a chef’s knife.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Vegan