Welcome to lesson 6 of the homemade how-to series: how to cook baked potatoes. In each lesson, I break down the steps for a home cooking skill I searched for often as I first learned to cook, or one that’s always been on my to-learn list. A recipe to showcase your new skill will follow a couple days after the how-to post!
Chances are, you searched for this tutorial in a pinch, so let’s dive right in! Click here to jump down and read more about perfect baked potatoes and some ideas for how to use them.
How to bake potatoes
- Russet potatoes, medium to large (about 8 to 12 oz. each)
- Kosher salt (optional)
- Vegetable oil or melted butter (optional)
- Your favorite toppings!
- Scrub brush, washcloth, or sponge
- Paring or serrated knife
- Bowl (optional)
- Foil or baking sheet (optional)
- Instant read thermometer (optional)
- Basting or pastry brush (optional)
Essential baked potato ingredients and tools are shown first, and all the optional supplies are pictured second.
Step 1: Prep the potatoes
Preheat oven to 425 (F) with rack in middle position. Scrub the potatoes in cold water and pat dry. Poke firmly with a fork in about 6 places per potato.