Gluten free/vegetarian. A speedy weeknight Tex-Mex casserole to help use up whatever veggies you have around!
- Cooking spray or vegetable oil
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 C sour cream
- 1 1/2 C red salsa or enchilada sauce (or a mix 3/4 cup of each)
- 2 C grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 t cumin
- 1/4 t dried oregano
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper
- 1/2 t kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 t ground pepper
- 1 C frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts thinly sliced, dark green tops sliced for garnish
- 2 C cooked vegetables, drained beans, and/or chopped black olives (I used sweet potatoes, rutabaga, greens, and pinto beans)
- 12 small (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut or torn in half
- Optional toppings for serving: salsa, cilantro, sour cream, pickled onions, avocado
- Preheat the oven to 375 (F), with rack in middle position. Spray or lightly oil a 9 to 9 1/2 inch pie plate.
- In a medium mixing bowl, thoroughly combine cream cheese and sour cream with a fork until nearly free of lumps. Stir in 1/2 cup of the salsa or sauce, 1 cup of the cheese, the dried spices, and the salt and pepper. Fold the corn, scallions (except the dark green parts), and vegetables into the mixture so they’re well coated. Set the filling aside, or refrigerate up to a few days until you’re ready to assemble the pie.
- To make the pie, spread 1/4 C salsa or sauce on the bottom of the pie plate. Arrange six tortilla halves in a single layer over the sauce. Working in small spoonfuls, top tortillas with a third of the creamy filling, spreading it into a single layer. Cover with another six tortilla halves, then another 1/4 cup sauce. Repeat in the following order two more times: filling, tortilla halves, sauce.
- Sprinkle remaining cup of cheese over the top of the pie, then place on a baking sheet in case it bubbles over. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until the filling is bubbly and cheese on top is completely melted. Cool for a few minutes, then serve.
Prep time allows for 10 minutes to sauté the vegetables. To keep the cook time as fast as possible, cut vegetables (especially tough root vegetables) into a small dice so they cook quickly.
The pie keeps well baked or unbaked in the freezer. Freeze the unbaked pie immediately after assembly, so the tortillas don’t begin soaking up liquid and turn soft.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex