If you like Subway’s white chocolate macadamia cookies, you’ll LOVE these chewy, gluten free macadamia butterscotch clusters.
- 1/4 C softened butter (half a stick)
- 3/4 C granulated sugar
- 3/4 C packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs (large or XL)
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 t baking soda
- Pinch of salt (if PB is unsalted)
- 1 C peanut butter (any type)
- 1 C butterscotch chips
- 1/2 C chopped toasted macadamia nuts
- 3 C rolled oats (I’ve only tried old fashioned and can’t speak to whether quick cook oats would work)
- Preheat oven to 350 (F).
- Beat the butter and both sugars with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer until well combined. The mixture may look crumbly but should stick together when pressed with a spoon. Beat in eggs and vanilla, then add baking soda and salt (if using) and beat until combined. Finally, mix in peanut butter on medium high speed until well mixed. Stir in chips, nuts, and oats by hand and refrigerate the mixture at least 30 minutes, or up to 12 hours (or longer, but I prefer to play it safe when raw eggs are involved).
- Use a regular spoon to scoop 1 to 2 tablespoons of chilled dough and press each into a packed ball. Place a dozen at a time on a parchment lined cookie sheet, then flatten slightly with the palm of your hand. Bake until just golden on the bottom and edges, about 11 minutes, keeping remaining dough refrigerated in the meantime. Cool on sheets about 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. The cookies are best at room temperature–chewy without crumbling into pieces.
- Repeat with remaining cookie dough. The cookies keep well for a few days when stored in an air tight container.
It helps to keep a bowl of water nearby and handle the dough with damp hands–it will help to keep it from sticking.
To really up the macadamia flavor, you could replace some or all of the peanut butter with homemade macadamia nut butter–run macadamia nuts and a pinch of salt through the food processor for several minutes, until you achieve peanut butter consistency.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 11 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Gluten Free