Gluten free and vegetarian. All the ingredients from fried rice assembled into a glorious crispy-on-the-outside, tender-on-the-inside, veggie-packed savory pancake. The best part? Any grains of rice in contact with the pan develop a nice crispy chew.
- 1/2 C + 2 T garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 4 large eggs
- 1 T tamari or soy sauce
- 1 t (or more) sriracha hot sauce
- 1/2 C vegetable or peanut oil, divided
- 1 1/2 C cooked brown rice
- 1 C finely chopped scallions (about 8)
- 1 1/2 C coarsely grated carrot
- 1 C frozen peas (thawing optional)
- 2 handfuls spinach, finely chopped
- Kosher or sea salt
- Optional, for serving: cilantro salad (see below), garlic aioli, peanut dressing, or more hot sauce
Asian cilantro salad (optional)
- Clean, dry cilantro leaves
- Dark green scallion tops, thinly sliced
- Toasted sesame oil
- Lime juice
- Kosher or sea salt
- Preheat oven to 200 (F) if you plan to keep the cakes warm while frying in batches. Line a plate or baking sheet with a couple layers of paper towels.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together garbanzo bean flour and baking soda. Add eggs, tamari, hot sauce, and 2 tablespoons of the oil and whisk to combine. Gently stir in rice, scallions, carrot, peas, and spinach.
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a nonstick or well seasoned cast iron skillet just above medium heat. Use a quarter cup or ice cream scoop to measure out each cake, dropping batter into the pan (about 3 at a time, or as many as will fit without crowding). After a minute, press each cake with the back of a spatula to flatten. Cook another 2 minutes on the first side, or until deep golden brown. Flip cakes over, then cook another 3 to 4 minutes, until golden on both sides and set in the middle. Remove to paper towels and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Repeat process until all the batter is used up, storing finished cakes in the oven (without paper towels) to keep warm.
- Serve with condiments of choice, or the below simple Asian cilantro salad.
Asian cilantro salad
- Gently toss cilantro leaves and scallion tops with just enough sesame oil to coat–start small. Squeeze a little lime juice over the salad, sprinkle with salt, and toss to coat evenly in all the dressing ingredients.
Loosely based on my sweet potato kale veggie cakes recipe.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Vegetarian