Creamy sun dried tomato dressing
- 6 T lemon juice or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 C olive oil, divided
- 1/2 t maple syrup
- 2 T water (plus more as needed)
- 1/2 t dried oregano (plus more to finish)
- 1/4 C loosely packed crumbled feta
- 1/4 t kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 English cucumber, seeded, quartered lengthwise, and sliced thick
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into short strips
- 24 pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 1/2 T olive oil
- 2 medium grapefruit, peeled, cut into wedges (membranes removed), and chopped
- 3/4 C cubed feta
- Cooked quinoa, for serving as an entree (optional)
Dressing (makes 1 cup)
- In a blender, puree lemon juice (or vinegar), 1/4 cup olive oil, maple syrup, 2 tablespoons water, oregano, feta, salt, and plenty of pepper. With blender running, drizzle in remaining 1/4 cup oil. Thin with an extra tablespoon or two of water, as desired (I added one tablespoon), and adjust seasoning to taste. Refrigerate until needed. Before serving, allow to rest at room temperature, as the dressing may begin to solidify in the fridge.
- In a mixing bowl, toss cucumber, red onion, bell pepper, olives, the olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Add grapefruit and feta and mix gently (with your hands or two utensils) until just combined, being careful not to break up the feta cubes too much. Serve alone or over quinoa, drizzled generously with the dressing, and sprinkled with a bit of dried oregano and black pepper.
Quinoa, if using, will cook in about the time it takes to prepare the entire salad. Toss warm quinoa with a little good olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Category: Main Dish Salad
- Cuisine: Mediterranean